Wednesday, July 16, 2008

the thrilla getting to manila

Part 1. Halfway to Guam: Tuesday, 7/15 6:05 AM. According to my watch, that is the correct time, but that is LAX time. We are now somewhere over the Pacific. The cabin steward told me we were halfway to Guam. Halfway to Guam? Didn't Tony Orlando and Dawn record that song in 1961?

"You leave me half way to Guaaaam, so near yet so far away".

Maybe not.

I spent some quality time in the upper class lounge at LAX before boarding. My business class ticket was my entrance fee. Lots and lots of food and drink. Then we were served dinner on the flight to Manila. Salmon and cream cheese appetizer, steak Philippine style, more wine and fresh fruit and ice cream for dessert.

Forget weighing the luggage, airlines should weigh the passengers after all that food:

"Sorry, sir- after 3 danish and 4 other desserts, you are too heavy to remain onboard. Please put on our complimentary parachute and step to the doorway (seperate doorways for economy and business passengers)."

"Have a wonderful day sir." And then you are on your own at 37,000 feet lamenting that last danish as your body hurls toward the blue Pacific below.

Sorry, no photos tonight. Small camera glitch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, Thrilled you're in Manila and then on to Dumaguete. We look forward to further accounts of your committed adventures and we don't mean in a mental way.We still have no news of our family addition, but Sara Alex is fine. Take good care. Love Mina and Mort

Anonymous said...

It is certainly a long trip, but I'm sure much improved in business class :-)

I'm so glad that you've made it to Dumaguete! Sounds like it was a great first day.

Deb

Lowell Hays said...

Steve,

It sounds like your flight was a whole lot better than mine in business class. Glad to hear you made it safe and sound.

My drive to Madison and my annual golf tournament starts tomorrow. Unless of course the birth of the newest member of the family diverts me to Minneapolis.

Good luck,

Lowell