Friday, May 30, 2008

Anticipation

When I was a kid in Brooklyn during the 1950's, anticipation played a big role in my life. At that time, television was not on the air 24/7. Stations signed off late at night with a prayer and the National Anthem. They usually signed back on at 7:00 A.M., with another prayer and another National Anthem. In between, the stations played test patterns. I usually awoke at 6:00 A.M. and turned on the t.v. to watch my favorite cartoons at 7, so I spent an hour of anticipation watching the test patterns.


Maricar: Then.....

Maricar (standing in the doorway). This was the first photo I received. She was 9 years old. Her mom and brother are also in the photo.


Switch channels to 2008 and anticipation is still with me. As of this writing (5/30/08 at 2100 hours) I have 46 days, 14 hours and 31 minutes until I begin the first leg of my 10,000 mile trip. No,I'm not well versed in calculus but I did find a website that actually counts down the time for me.

By this time, Maricar should have learned of my impending visit. Being a mother of two young children, I doubt that she has much time to dwell on anticipation, but I hope that she is looking forward to our meeting. My trip is a long one, but her trip probably is more difficult. She has a 2 1/2 hour trip over the mountains by bus from Santa Catalina to Dumaguete. I am told that during the monsoon season (May to October), the mountain roads often become impassable....and dangerous. Bus schedules are cancelled without notice because of the weather.


And now:


Maricar, aged 18, with her husband, Tomas and her 2 children.


1 comment:

Miss W said...

hey Steve, i just wanna wish you luck think its amazing what your doing. I will be checking in to read about your progress.
take care
xx